For those tuning into this round the master goals list is here. From what I've seen everyone formats their posts a little differently, so I'm going to do what feels natural for me; an after action review and then setting intentions/minigoals for the next checkin.
AFTER ACTION REVIEW
1) The semester doesn't start until the 14th so I took a little time to prepare. There is no syllabus up yet, so I couldn't order books. I did add the class dates into my calendar with reminders.
2) Did an initial round of 4 critiques to get into the groove. I'll need to go through them again to give them the attention they deserve, but overall a good way to get into the groove.
3) For learning Japanese I supported Dogen on Patrreon and started to watch his linguistics videos. There's about 50, so I'm intending to watch five per week for the rest of the round.
4) Successfully logged into one of my RWA classes and set up my profile. No email from the second one yet.
1) Still getting into a proper schedule after the holidays, so warming up for the day is hard. I haven't been ready to eat breakfast in the morning so I've been skipping it. (I'm not going to force myself to eat.) This morning was particularly good, with me getting up on time, getting my journal done early, and unloading the dishwasher and cleaning some of the car.
2) As with the warming up goal, it's tough to get back into the schedule after vacation. I've been very good about reading four at least ten minutes before bed. I've been pretty bad about putting my phone away at 9 o'clock though, and it has been negatively affecting my sleeping.
3) I made another meditation and it sounds pretty good! I did some research on making better ones as well which I'd like to implement soon.
4) I have no spent anything thus far this round for myself. I did just order some house supplies (a new brush for the pets and toothpaste) from Amazon. So far so good!
5) No progress yet.
6+7) Started to read "Think and Grow Rich". I'll probably keep to my self-improvement books while doing critiques because switching between reading for work and pleasure is hard.
INTENTIONS AND MINIGOALS
1) Check for syllabus again on 1/11 and buy books as needed.
2) Review the 4 stories I started the crits on and add additional comments. Crit another 20k worth of work before my blog post on 1/6.
3) Watch five Dogen videos. Watch recommended Japanese movie once. Record myself speaking Japanese and listen for intonation, then record again. Recording time should total 15 minutes.
4) Check in on both classes before my blog post on 1/6. (To be checked on the 6th at some point, not earlier.)
1) Keep trying. Perhaps try to have additional breakfast options.
2) Keep trying. Consider autolocking my phone at 9PM, or something.
3) Make one more meditation. Implement at least one of the ideas I researched.
4) Continue to pack lunch and play/read what I have in the house.
5) Send email to two librarians before 5PM Friday (1/4)
6+7) Finish "Think and Grow Rich" by 1/8. (150/230pgs by next check in 1/6)
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Here's too a lovely new year.
1/2/2019 07:16:48 pm
Sounds like good progress. Keep working on your routine.
1/3/2019 03:40:26 am
Thanks. Yesterday wasn't much better, but today I'm up early for breakfast!
1/2/2019 08:13:34 pm
Yeah, we do all have our own way of posting our progress, Shannon. Looks like you found a solid way to check-in, one that suits you well.
1/3/2019 03:42:06 am
I actually haven't found that doing beta reads and crit's for others affect my writing. If anything it can give me the motivation to write more. (If the beta read isn't already late and I'm trying to binge it, which happens too often.)
1/3/2019 04:06:53 pm
I've found I can do better at eating breakfast if I decide the night before what the most likely option is, and wait to eat until I've been up an hour or so, minimum. It didn't used to be even that soon - there have been many time when I've been up 8 hours or more without eating.
1/5/2019 08:03:09 am
I've been trying to do eggs on toast or oatmeal, but I think I need a third option. When I was in college and on one of the best routines of my life I always went to sleep thinking about breakfast~ I'd like to get in that habit again!
1/5/2019 08:01:30 am
That's what I've been trying to do. It's tough to make the time every day, but it's worth it!
1/4/2019 07:50:45 am
Looks like a good start!
1/5/2019 08:03:31 am
Leave a Reply.
100 Squats per Day
Read 52 Books