For those tuning into this round my master goals list is here. The master list of those participating in this round is here. I personally format my check-ins as an after action review, then the setting of intentions/minigoals for the next check-in. Please leave a comment, even if it's not related to the goals I don't mind, it's nice to know that someone sees this page!
AFTER ACTION REVIEW
1) Wrote one of the journal entries. The other's due date was delayed so I put it off a bit as well. I wrote another 4 pages for creative writing. I also reviewed the syllabus which says that I need an additional 8 pages of new material, but it doesn't need to be shared with the critique group. Thus I'm going to continue this piece (the start of another novel) until those 8 pages are done before turning it in.
2) I did completely prioritize the changes that need to be made to the book, but I just wasn't ready to start working on those changes yet. Possibly a little hang up from the last editing saga which was excessively mentally taxing. I will start it this week, though I will also slow down to more bite sized chunks in my editing goals. If I know that I can achieve it then I should be less likely to avoid it.
3) I didn't quite study every day, but I did sit down and catch up by doing 45minutes over the weekend. Not ideal, but I got the time in, and that is what I need right now. I've been playing with the kanji phone app and found a new way for the flashcards to work. I now have them only show me the words around the kanji, and then have myself choose from eight choices what should be there. I suspect that this will be fantastic for me for two reasons; the first is that I gain a lot of reading comprehension from context (this is true for both English and the French that I managed to understand) and the second is that a lot of Japanese words have a specific meaning within their context. The more exposure I have to these combinations the better understanding I should have of the language as a whole.
1) I ended up posting ~35 items on eBay. That's what I had prepped at the time and is a solid start, though not quite my goal of 50. I suspect it's really better for me, and my goal achieving, to keep the initial goal low and then overachieve. The last couple times I thought I'd post 10 and then posted 50 anyways. On the plus side there was a special deal going on which means all of those items went up for free and I still have an additional 50 slots to use!
2) Nothing planned, nothing done.
3) Read a bit more of the book in progress and completed the first season of a podcast called "Magnus Archives". It's quite good, though being the first season the audio levels are a bit off.
4) Overachieved! I started and finished reading "Leadership and Self-deception." It was an interesting read, not because it had a lot of new material, but because this put into words a transformation I had when I was 14 that turned me from an ever-angry teenager to the person I am today. I was a great read and I would recommend it to many, though I suspect that most writers have made the discoveries in this book already.
5) I have been flinging at least 5 things from the garage and basement every day. Instead of doing either of my two outside projects to completion I did half of both. I think I was ready to see some major improvements without expending a ton of energy. Overall it'll work out in the end. I often get in the mood to get a project off of my plate, and when that happens I'm sure these goals will get completed quickly.
1) Write the delayed journal entry for world civ. Write journal entry for creative writing. Write at least two more pages for creative writing.
2) Complete the one most important edit in the book.
3) Studying for 15 minutes a day!
1) Post another 5 items on eBay. Keep up with the sales.
2) Iron sign. Check inventory. Start to pack car for event Friday.
3) Autopilot. I'll probably continue to catch up on the podcast, so keeping it simple with the physical book.
4) Start reading "Success Principles".
5) It'll be raining all week so keeping it simple. 5 thing fling garage and basement. Anything else is bonus.
Post 52 non-ROW Blogs
Read 52 Books